Live Rock !!

Saturday 31st March 2007.

I haven’t tested my tank water yet. I’m working on the assumption (which I hope is valid) that since all I have put in is RO water, marine salt and some substrate, I am unlikely to have problems with ammonia, nitrates, etc.

I spoke the people at the shop and they were in agreement. It is time to get some live rock. As luck would have it, they have a display model of the TL450 in the shop so I can gauge what amount of rock I “need”. I finally select some good looking lumps (one has a very nice looking hitch-hiker which I’ve yet to identify but looks a bit polyp like to my untrained eye). It’s all plumped onto the scales and it’s a bit over 6 kilos. Sounds fine to me. Luckily I had done some homework and was ready for the cost of “a few bits of rock”. Almost £70 in this case. A gentle enquiry led to a 10% discount (which was nice) as I had bought the tank from them a week earlier.

The advice they offered was to get the rock into my tank, watch it for a week, test the water then start adding something a bit more mobile. A crab or two perhaps. I’m nervous of this step and will probably leave it longer but we’ll see.

So the family and our new “pet rocks” set off home to get them into their new home.

No comments: